Well, well, well folks. Looks like we just needed a trip out of the OC to get the party started on the RHOC. I can’t believe I’ve had to wait this long to write about this episode because it was fantastic start to finish. Let’s not waste another second for Vicki could possibly perish.
1. Vicki’s med-evac. You know a housewives episode is going to be jam-packed with action when they skip the intro and bust out those time stamps. We picked up right where we left off last week and it did not disappoint. I loved the variety of reactions from all the ladies to Vicki’s imminent death. Her being wheeled out on a stretcher covered in that robe might be the funniest thing I have seen all year.
2. Ladies with appetites. The eternal dinner scene where Kelly, Shannon, Tamra, and Meghan all just wanted to get some food and booze in before they headed off to the hospital was like a scene out of Seinfeld. Firstly, I want to call out Meghan for being endlessly consistent (and not just consistently boring). I respected her being completely nonplussed about Vicki being hospitalized just like last season (plus we got some great Glamis flashbacks out of it).
Kelly: “I’ll go to the hospital I just need to eat first.”
Meghan: “Why? Because you feel guilty?”
Kelly: “No, I’d want someone to be with me.”
Hard to quote the delivery of those “yeah”s but it was the best. The veterans knew Vicki wasn’t really dying so they prioritized dinner over her histrionics. Only a newbie falls for a Vicki health scam.
“Cheers to good health…and Vicki getting better….god what a…what a shame.” You said it, Shannon.
3. Kelly vs. Peggy. What a fucking weird ass pair to go at it. Kelly was clearly drunk (she had that drunken screechy voice that’s a dead giveaway) from the get-go during the Vicki saga and an inexplicably perturbed Peggy was bossing her around. Loved them sniping back and forth at each other, especially when Kelly wanted her to wait to go to the hospital during dinner while she shoveled food in her mouth. I’ll be waiting for the Michael on Diko fight when Peggy finally sets him loose to protect her.
4. Vicki’s diagnosis. My only disappointment with this episode was not sending along a camera crew to the hospital so we could see the reaction on the staff’s faces when they realized nothing was wrong with Vicki. Her official diagnosis was “elevated blood pressure” which in layman’s terms means “fucking nothing.”
5. A casserole delivered. Ordering Vicki a casserole from the hotel’s restaurant was such hilarious genius. Delivering it with so much fanfare was just what Vicki needed and then she picked at it with her hands. Brilliant.
6. Tamra’s emotion. Tamra’s breakdown with Vicki over Brooks was the first spark we’ve really seen from Tamra this season. It felt real and it was just what I like to see out of Tamra (besides her destroying wives like Gretchen Rossi). Vicki was manipulating the shit out of a drunk and exhausted Tamra, for the record. It led to other great things though…
7. Shannon not having it. During Vicki and Tamra’s great embrace, Shannon’s fury over Vicki worming her way back in started boiling over. Her whispering out all sorts of vodka-fueled crazy while Meghan tried to calm her down was some amazing shit and you know it. All hail Queen Shannon. We don’t deserve her.
8. Iceland. I already mentioned the time stamps up above but I loved how necessary they are in Iceland because it was still light out at 11 pm when the ladies started eating their dinner. Fridrik is also one of my favourite trip hosts. He took Vicki and Kelly out to whoop it up and was a great presence during Vicki’s emergency. More Fridrik, less Fredrik, you hear me Bravo?
1. Peggy’s absurd overreactions. I don’t even think it’s fair to call this a low so much as a “what the fuck?” but I’ve committed to this format so I’m tossing it in here. Peggy is an extremely weird woman. She was the only person panicked during Vicki’s emergency because apparently she really didn’t watch the past seasons before joining the show. She was so over the top and then locked herself in her room the entire following day.
2. Lydia’s Lydianess. There are plenty of religious housewives and devout franchises but the overbearing Christianity of the OC really wears thin for me. Now, it is hilarious when Vicki compares herself to Jesus because it just encapsulates her delusion. Lydia is too sincere for it to be funny and when she started to pray for Vicki my eyes rolled back into my head. I also was not a fan of her attitude about the ladies eating. I will say kadooze to Lydia for the witty little ditty that gave us our episode title. “A case of the Vicki’s” is just perfect so I will not be hating Lydia in her entirety this week.
I think I could probably pick out at least 10 more minor moments to add to the highs, this episode was truly that good. Did I miss one of yours? How long do we think Vicki and Tamra’s reconciliation will last? Drop your thoughts in the comments below.